Saturday, August 27, 2011

FRIENDS FIRST

According to a new study, Americans supposedly take longer to fall in love with someone than our Eastern European counterparts. Apparently it takes us two months up to a year to fall in love with someone, while 90 percent of Lithuanians report falling in love within one month of meeting someone. In this same study, Americans also cite friendship and companionship as a key component of love.

I can’t speak for all Americans, but this is incredibly accurate for me. It took me a little while to fall in love with my current boyfriend, and it definitely developed out of a friendship first. We really developed a great level of trust and rapport before taking our relationship to the next level. This is a great way to get to know someone before just diving into a romantic relationship, and I believe that it helps to create a lasting bond that can weather the test of time.

Having a relationship that’s also based out of friendship makes your relationship more substantial and less fleeting instead of one based out of infatuation. That’s not to say that “love at first sight” doesn’t exist and can’t develop into a lasting and fruitful relationship, but, in my experience, a foundation based in friendship has enriched and strengthened the love I have for my partner.

No comments: